Long-term follow up of sphincterotomy in spinal cord injured men

Ryosuke Takahashi, Yasusuke Kimoto

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

(Objectives) The long-term outcome of transurethral sphincterotomy (sphincterotomy) for the management of male quadriplegic patients with neurogenic bladder was examined. (Materials and methods) A total of 39 men with at least 5-years follow-up after sphincterotomy at our institute were included in this retrospective analysis. The mean age was 36.2 years (range 15-61). The mean follow-up period was 13.1 years (range 5-27). (Results) Of the 39 patients, 30 patients (77%) were successfully maintained in reflex voiding with a condom catheter and remaining 9 patients (23%) have received another urinary management, including 4 suprapubic cystostomy, 2 clean intermittent catheterization and 2 clean intermittent catheterization by care giver. The main reason that required another urinary management was the augmentation in autonomic hyperreflexia due to poor urinary drainage. Analysis of the urodynamic parameters revealed that the detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the reasons for the change of urinary management. In addition, the preoperative maximum bladder pressure in patients who has changed the urinary management due to the augmentation in AH was significantly lower than that in patients that has been successfully followed up in reflex voiding. (Conclusions) The long-term outcome of sphincterotomy was relatively good. However detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the important points during the postoperative routine follow up.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)7-13
Number of pages7
JournalJapanese Journal of Urology
Volume99
Issue number1
DOIs
Publication statusPublished - Jan 1 2008

Fingerprint

Spinal Cord
Intermittent Urethral Catheterization
Reflex
Autonomic Dysreflexia
Cystostomy
Neurogenic Urinary Bladder
Urodynamics
Condoms
Caregivers
Drainage
Urinary Bladder
Catheters
Pressure

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Urology

Cite this

Long-term follow up of sphincterotomy in spinal cord injured men. / Takahashi, Ryosuke; Kimoto, Yasusuke.

In: Japanese Journal of Urology, Vol. 99, No. 1, 01.01.2008, p. 7-13.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Takahashi, Ryosuke ; Kimoto, Yasusuke. / Long-term follow up of sphincterotomy in spinal cord injured men. In: Japanese Journal of Urology. 2008 ; Vol. 99, No. 1. pp. 7-13.
@article{f222a5205a74453faeafc0d1a472764b,
title = "Long-term follow up of sphincterotomy in spinal cord injured men",
abstract = "(Objectives) The long-term outcome of transurethral sphincterotomy (sphincterotomy) for the management of male quadriplegic patients with neurogenic bladder was examined. (Materials and methods) A total of 39 men with at least 5-years follow-up after sphincterotomy at our institute were included in this retrospective analysis. The mean age was 36.2 years (range 15-61). The mean follow-up period was 13.1 years (range 5-27). (Results) Of the 39 patients, 30 patients (77{\%}) were successfully maintained in reflex voiding with a condom catheter and remaining 9 patients (23{\%}) have received another urinary management, including 4 suprapubic cystostomy, 2 clean intermittent catheterization and 2 clean intermittent catheterization by care giver. The main reason that required another urinary management was the augmentation in autonomic hyperreflexia due to poor urinary drainage. Analysis of the urodynamic parameters revealed that the detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the reasons for the change of urinary management. In addition, the preoperative maximum bladder pressure in patients who has changed the urinary management due to the augmentation in AH was significantly lower than that in patients that has been successfully followed up in reflex voiding. (Conclusions) The long-term outcome of sphincterotomy was relatively good. However detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the important points during the postoperative routine follow up.",
author = "Ryosuke Takahashi and Yasusuke Kimoto",
year = "2008",
month = "1",
day = "1",
doi = "10.5980/jpnjurol1989.99.7",
language = "English",
volume = "99",
pages = "7--13",
journal = "Japanese Journal of Urology",
issn = "0021-5287",
publisher = "Japanese Urological Association",
number = "1",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Long-term follow up of sphincterotomy in spinal cord injured men

AU - Takahashi, Ryosuke

AU - Kimoto, Yasusuke

PY - 2008/1/1

Y1 - 2008/1/1

N2 - (Objectives) The long-term outcome of transurethral sphincterotomy (sphincterotomy) for the management of male quadriplegic patients with neurogenic bladder was examined. (Materials and methods) A total of 39 men with at least 5-years follow-up after sphincterotomy at our institute were included in this retrospective analysis. The mean age was 36.2 years (range 15-61). The mean follow-up period was 13.1 years (range 5-27). (Results) Of the 39 patients, 30 patients (77%) were successfully maintained in reflex voiding with a condom catheter and remaining 9 patients (23%) have received another urinary management, including 4 suprapubic cystostomy, 2 clean intermittent catheterization and 2 clean intermittent catheterization by care giver. The main reason that required another urinary management was the augmentation in autonomic hyperreflexia due to poor urinary drainage. Analysis of the urodynamic parameters revealed that the detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the reasons for the change of urinary management. In addition, the preoperative maximum bladder pressure in patients who has changed the urinary management due to the augmentation in AH was significantly lower than that in patients that has been successfully followed up in reflex voiding. (Conclusions) The long-term outcome of sphincterotomy was relatively good. However detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the important points during the postoperative routine follow up.

AB - (Objectives) The long-term outcome of transurethral sphincterotomy (sphincterotomy) for the management of male quadriplegic patients with neurogenic bladder was examined. (Materials and methods) A total of 39 men with at least 5-years follow-up after sphincterotomy at our institute were included in this retrospective analysis. The mean age was 36.2 years (range 15-61). The mean follow-up period was 13.1 years (range 5-27). (Results) Of the 39 patients, 30 patients (77%) were successfully maintained in reflex voiding with a condom catheter and remaining 9 patients (23%) have received another urinary management, including 4 suprapubic cystostomy, 2 clean intermittent catheterization and 2 clean intermittent catheterization by care giver. The main reason that required another urinary management was the augmentation in autonomic hyperreflexia due to poor urinary drainage. Analysis of the urodynamic parameters revealed that the detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the reasons for the change of urinary management. In addition, the preoperative maximum bladder pressure in patients who has changed the urinary management due to the augmentation in AH was significantly lower than that in patients that has been successfully followed up in reflex voiding. (Conclusions) The long-term outcome of sphincterotomy was relatively good. However detrusor overactivity is hard to occur with time and this would be one of the important points during the postoperative routine follow up.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=39449121577&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=39449121577&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.5980/jpnjurol1989.99.7

DO - 10.5980/jpnjurol1989.99.7

M3 - Article

C2 - 18260342

AN - SCOPUS:39449121577

VL - 99

SP - 7

EP - 13

JO - Japanese Journal of Urology

JF - Japanese Journal of Urology

SN - 0021-5287

IS - 1

ER -