The Japan Neurosurgical Database (JND) is a prospective observational study registry established in 2017 by the Japan Neurosurgical Society (JNS) to visualize real-world clinical practice, promote science, and improve the quality of care and neurosurgery board certification in Japan. We summarize JND’s aims and methods, and describes the 2018 survey results. The JND registered in-hospital patients’ clinical data mainly from JNS training institutions in 2018. Caseload, patient demographics, and in-hospital outcomes of the overall cohort and a neurosurgical subgroup were examined according to major classifications of main diagnosis. Neurosurgical caseload per neurosurgeon in training in core hospitals in 2018 was calculated as an indicator of neurosurgical training. Of 523,283 cases (male 55.3%) registered from 1360 participating institutions, the neurosurgical subgroup comprised of 33.9%. Among the major classifications, cerebrovascular diseases comprised the largest proportion overall and in the neurosurgical subgroup (53.1%, 41.0%, respectively), followed by neurotrauma (19.1%, 25.5%), and brain tumor (10.4%, 12.8%). Functional neurosurgery (6.4%, 3.7%), spinal and peripheral nerve disorders (5.1%, 10.1%), hydrocephalus/developmental anomalies (2.9%, 5.3%), and encephalitis/infection/ inflammatory and miscellaneous diseases (2.9%, 1.6%) comprised smaller proportions. Most patients were aged 70–79 years in the overall cohort and neurosurgical subgroup (27.8%, 29.4%). Neurotrauma and cerebrovascular diseases in the neurosurgical subgroup comprised a higher and lower proportion, respectively, than in the overall cohort in elderly patients (e.g. 80 years, 46.9% vs. 33.5%, 26.8% vs. 54.4%). The 2018 median neurosurgical caseload per neurosurgeon in training was 80.7 (25–75th percentile 51.5–117.5). These initial results from 2018 reveal unique aspects of neurosurgical practice in Japan.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Clinical Neurology