As part of a consecutive series of 370 patients who underwent subtotal esophagectomy because of carcinoma of the thoracic area of the esophagus, between January 1965 and July 1988, in the Second Department of Surgery, Kyushu University Hospital, 42 patients (11.4%) with early stage esophageal carcinomas confined to the intraepithelium, mucosa, or submucosa were studied clinicopathologically. Of these 42, 26 (61.9%) had symptoms; slight dysphagia or chest discomfort was the most common symptom. The remaining 16 (38.1%) had no subjective symptoms. Endoscopic examination proved to be more useful than barium studies. Lugol-combined endoscopy was most effective in detecting the presence and spread of small malignant lesions of the esophagus. At the time of surgery, six patients with submucosal carcinoma of the esophagus had lymph node metastasis, and five died of recurrence. Described herein are the diagnostic features, clinicopathologic characteristics, and long-term results of these 42 patients with early stage, and 328 patients with advanced, carcinomas of the esophagus, detected and surgically treated in our clinics.
|出版物ステータス||出版済み - 6 1989|
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes