The colocalization of parvalbumin (PV) and somatostatin (SS)-like immunoreactivity was studied quantitatively in the mouse hippocampus, with particular reference to their areal and dorsoventral differences. The optical disector method was applied by using a confocal laser scanning microscope with immunofluorescent double-labeling. In the present study, we found a particular subpopulation of hippocampal nonprincipal neurons that contained both PV and SS-like immunoreactivity, i.e., PV-immunoreactive (IR)/SS-like immunoreactive (LIR) neurons. In the CA1 region, PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons were restricted to the stratum oriens (SO). In the CA3 region, they were scattered in the SO, stratum pyramidale (SP), and stratum radiatum (SR). However, they were rarely seen in the dentate gyrus (DG). The proportion of PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons in the PV-IR neurons or SS-LIR neurons was about 10% in the CA1 region, 15-30% in the CA3 region, 0-5% in the DG, and 10-20% in total. Laminar analysis revealed that the proportions of PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons in the PV-IR neurons were high in the SO (about 25%) of the CA1 region, and in the SO (about 50%) and SR (30-45%) of the CA3 region. The proportion of PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons in the SS-LIR neurons was low in the SO of the CA1 region (about 10%), but high in the SO (35-65%) and SR (35-45%) of the CA3 region. Morphologically, medium-sized horizontal fusiform and multipolar PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons were frequently observed, and they showed weak immunoreactivity for PV. Large-sized vertical bitufted and triangular PV-IR neurons lacked SS-like immunoreactivity, and most of them showed moderate to intense immunoreactivity for PV. In addition, we provide direct evidence that some PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons projected to the medial septum by using retrograde labeling with Fluoro-Gold injection. These observations indicate that PV-IR/SS-LIR neurons constitute a particular subpopulation of hippocampal nonprincipal neurons. (C) 2000 Wiley-Liss, Inc.
|ジャーナル||Journal of Comparative Neurology|
|出版ステータス||出版済み - 12 18 2000|
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes